Saturday, July 26, 2008

Zack's First MLB Game!

June 20, 2008
San Diego, CA



Matt sort of scheduled our trip purposely around the San Diego Padres inter-league games with the Detroit Tigers. Matt always said that Zack would have to attend a Tigers game first, so even though it wasn't in Detroit, this counted and Matt was happy. When we walked in I was a few feet behind but the usher-lady stopped me and said "I saw your son's face when he walked in and saw the field. I can tell it is his first time. His jaw dropped and he is so amazed." Matt said he saw Zack's face and loved it b/c it reminded him of his first trip to Tiger stadium. We arrived early enough to see them practicing, and Matt was able to meet Todd Jones who threw the last pitch in old Tiger Stadium on Sept. 27, 1999. He even signed a ball for Matt. (Matt is really like a big kid at these kinds of events.) Zack wasn't exactly the best kid while we were there. In fact, he basically got us thrown out of our seats, but thankfully the ushers thought that he was so cute and they hooked us up with some sweet seats. Sometimes, and I do mean sometimes, it pays to have a bad child!

The best story occurred while Matt had taken Zack down to the kids area to run around. We had gotten a Tigers pennant just like Matt had gotten at his first MLB game. The San Diego Padre cheer people came around and handed out items like little balls and baseball cards. They left Sirley and me with one of their signs that said "Go Padres". Well I held up the pennant over it so that it said "Go Tigers". Then out of nowhere one of the mascots that walk around the park yanked the pennant out of my hand and started to pretend to fight me for it and then proceeded to "wipe his butt" with it! I was so embarrassed. I'm just glad I didn't end up on the jumbo-tron or even worse ESPN highlights. It really was histerical, and Sirley was about to crawl under her seat. Matt couldn't believe he missed it. We left a little early b/c the Tigers lost, however we did go back the next night...more pics to come of that too!

1 comment:

Veronica said...

What a great memory and experience....especially since it is so important to Matt. Zach won't remember but will be able to see the pictures and read the blog that you will have bound at the end of the year for your journal. Emily is going to tell us how this is done. I love all your pictures of the ocean and the games. Keep the blogging coming....I love to read them and see your pictures.